ADHD is becoming a fairly common condition in young children and adolescents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over six million children between the ages of 4 to 17 have been diagnosed, and the rates continue to rise. Treatment for ADHD varies from child to child, but a combination of therapy and medication is commonly used to help manage the condition. If your child is exhibiting symptoms of ADHD or having behavioral problems at home or at school, the first step is to schedule an appointment with a pediatrician for an evaluation. The pediatricians at Royal Oak Pediatric Associates in Marion, VA, Dr. Anita Henley, Dr. Leesa Lawrence, and Dr. Tara Etter recommend that you have your child evaluated as soon as possible in order to get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Pediatric Behavioral Health Services in Marion, VA
There are many misconceptions and myths about ADHD (Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) and other childhood behavioral health issues. For example, many people assume that all children with ADHD are also hyperactive, but that is not always the case. According to the CDC, there are a few categories of ADHD with specific symptoms:
- Fidgety, inability to sit still for long periods of time
- Frequently interrupts conversations, or appears unable to "wait their turn" in conversations or games, etc.
- Difficulty remaining quiet
- Constant movement or physical activity like running or jumping at inappropriate moments
- Easily distracted and forgetful
- Difficulty paying attention and following through on tasks like schoolwork or chores
- Appears not to listen
- Easily loses focus and fails to complete tasks, or makes careless mistakes
The CDC recommends regularly monitoring your child's symptoms and behavior, and to schedule an appointment with a pediatrician if they persist for six months or longer.
Find a Pediatrician in Marion, VA
For more information about treatment options for ADHD and other childhood behavioral health issues, contact Royal Oak Pediatric Associates by calling 276-783-8183 to schedule an appointment with a pediatrician today.