How your pediatricians in Marion, VA, can help with behavioral issues
Your child’s behavior can be complicated. It can be difficult to know whether behavior is normal, or whether it may be a sign of developmental issues. That’s where your pediatrician comes in. The pediatricians at Royal Oak Pediatrics can help with diagnosis and treatment of common behavioral issues. They have two convenient office locations in Abingdon and Marion, VA, to help you and your child.
As your child grows and develops, you may experience these normal behaviors:
- Your child being defiant; this is a sign of independence and testing boundaries.
- Your child withdrawing from you; this is a sign of your child wanting autonomy and independence.
- Your child acting out; this may be your child’s reaction to major changes in life including moving, family separation or divorce, or issues at school.
Your child may also exhibit some behaviors which could benefit from professional treatment. Consider visiting your pediatrician if your child demonstrates:
- Anxiety about school, relationships, and activities
- Frequent depression or feelings of unhappiness
- Purposefully damaging or destroying items belonging to others
- Hostile feelings toward others, especially authority figures
You and your child should definitely visit your pediatrician if your child is:
- Threatening other children, pets, or adults
- Threatening or harming himself or herself or you
- Stealing, smoking, doing drugs or unlawful behavior
- Doing badly in school, or missing school entirely
Attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder or ADHD is one of the most common behavioral issues in children. Your child may have ADHD if you notice that your child is:
- Frequently forgetting or losing things
- Excessively talking or squirming around
- Frequently daydreaming or not paying attention
If you are wondering about your child’s behavior, your pediatrician can help. A great pediatrician can help make sure your child is healthy and help you care for your child’s health, growth and development. For more information about common behavioral issues and other pediatric topics, call the pediatricians at Royal Oak Pediatrics, with offices in Abingdon and Marion, VA, today!